Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Oh talent, where are you?

On monday and Tuesday I spent my day interviewing about 80 people. For my cooks, I have certain standardsthat I cant move away from and for my waitresses and FOH staff as well. Cooks need to have spent time cooking in a kitchen of a certain caliber, must be used to cooking to order and speak english (understand it at least). SO many people showed up that didnt fill any of the requirements, I feel like I wasted about 3 fourths of my day. The only highlights were a guy with actual pastry experience...during his interview he mentioned fondant cake, creme brulee, choux...Love at first sight (Im calling him up for a benchtest) and a guy who was telling me how he made steak with foie gras...I asked him what would happen if I'm making foie gras and I go out and make a sauce while it cookingand he freaked out, saying no you cant do that foie gras is expensive and the fat will melt it. NEEDLESS TO SAY, I like him too. Other than that I have gotten two requests from people that are somewhat qualified for salaries that are about as much as you would get working at a five star hotel...needless to say we wont be talking to them. I'm not getting paid much at all to do this...this is a labor of love. I hope it gets to the point where we get enough money to not have to worry about our future, but fo rthat I need people that are grounded in reality and hard working...as is we are paying somewhere around 3 times more than other places pay fo rthe same job so we hope if anyone leaves money wont be the main issue (it seems its a big factor in people coming to interview with us) quite a few people have said they get paid half of minimum wage (minimum is about $100). I cant see anyone surviving on so little ($100 maybe) but so little. I really wish I could hire everyone that came in and put them to work. But I can only afford to hire the best. I hope someone hires the rest.


***update: The walls are actually walls now...not just frames.

No comments: