Wednesday, May 30, 2007

First big buy...ok...deposit

As of yesterday we are the proud semi owners of a sandwich table, a 20L, 10L and 7L mixer and about 20 chairs for the restaurant. We are trying to gamble as much as we can with the exchange rate, so we get the best deal we can. On the way is a 4 deck oven, a commercial vacuum sealer, refrigerators and a hell of a lot of molds...oh I cant forget the pastry sheeter. Goodbye rolling pin! In other news I have notcied that most of the chefs in expat oreinted places here are pretty young. I dont know how that makes me feel...honestly Its good to be in my same age group, but I have to start thinking about how they cook compared to my slightly irreverent take on European food. A very wise man said that fusion food is conFUZION food, Chef Marco of course, and I think it is very true. When you blend flavors for the express purpose of mixing cuisines, you tend to overdue some things, not only that, you sometimes end up putting things that should never have been together on the same plate. I like to think in temrs of what works, I may just be making a sorbet, but damn it! I like lemongrass with my pineapple so Im putting lemongrass in. I dont think of it as being Asian, I dont think that when you mix chocolate and chili it immediately becomes mexican...It just works and that why I do it. Here it seems as people feel they have to bastardize their food, I just dont think you can add japanese mayonnaise to a risotto and still look at yourself in the morning.

No comments: